Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Working to Pay for Daycare...

I just read a heart wrenching post on Radical Womanhood. It is entitled "Wannabe Soccer Mom"I highly recommend reading it as it describes one mom's struggle with working and putting her kids in daycare. I can't judge this mom (as it wouldn't be "PC")...and I happen to babysit a kid who's mom works. But is disturbing to me on more than one level. Is it worth it in our culture to have, have, have, buy, buy, buy...all the while only spending a few hours with your kid(s)? I understand that some women do not have a choice, and that is even more unfortunate. But, for a woman who basically works just to have the big house, the nice car, the Disneyland vacation, the boat, the everything! I just can't shake the sad feeling I get for her and her children. Read this article, you'll get what I'm saying! I know this all seems random, I haven't quite organized my thoughts, I just know that staying home with the kids does require some sacrifice, of which I am familiar with, so I do have a voice in this issue. If I wanted more "stuff" I could go to work, but I don't, cause I realize that my children need me at home. Yes, I understand that there are situations where some mom's are forced to work, but in the case of working just to have the "American Dream", I just can't relate. And I think this mom in "Wannabe Soccer Mom" makes my point.